So when naming a business, it turns out you shouldn't just throw a few terms into a domain name generator and pick the first available dot com 😀 There's actually more to it than that.
This episode features Louise Karch, also know as "The Name Whisperer" (really) and will give you ideas about how to name your business.
I found this incredibly useful and worth the time to listen.
- According to Louise, other than the business model, the name is the most strategic decision you'll ever make.
- "Break out or blend in" - there's so much noise right now, you have to stand out.
- You want a name that pulls focus and creates a feeling.
- Make up a name, mess around with the letters. As long as it feels right.
- Removing a vowel from a name isn't a great idea - can be hard to say, hard to spell. And difficult to create a story around.
- Sound hierarchy discussion was interesting - how a name feels when you say it. Does it feel big or small?
- Unexpectedness in a name - you're in the attention economy so stand out.
- When testing names, leave your ego behind and let the market tell you what's sticky.
Questions to think about
- What / who is my brand for?
- What’s the change I’m trying to make?
- What’s the story I want people to tell?
- What’s the sentiment I want people to feel?
Answer those question and you get elements of the brand that matter. Do that deeply and some word or phrase is going to come to mind.