Ben Tossell talks through how he got started with Makerpad, a bootstrapped resource for the no-code community.
- It's a passion project - he'd be doing it as a hobby anyway
- Ben isn't a technical guy but wanted to be involved in startups so hung out in slack groups and became useful. That led to a role at Product Hunt.
- Ultimate validation - charge before building anything
- When you start it doesn't need to be polished. People will tell you what needs to be better (talking specifically about video tutorials but applies to most early versions of a product)
- He never really looked for customers - just started sharing tutorials on twitter and hit a trend.
- Being curious is an important character trait - just try stuff out and see where it goes.